Respect Life Week in the Catholic Schools/PSRs (October, 2017)
2017 Theme: "Be Not Afraid"
**Details coming Summer 2017**
Respect Life Week 2016
Theme: “Be God's Mercy” — corresponding to the USCCB theme for Respect Life Sunday 2016
Daily Focus Grades K — 5:
- Monday — For those who struggling with disappointment
- Tuesday — For those struggling to forgive
- Wednesday — For those who are struggling with hopelessness
- Thursday — For children whose parents cannot care for them
- Friday — For the elderly
Daily Focus Grades 6 — 12:
- Monday — For spouses who cannot conceive a child
- Tuesday — For those who have had an abortion
- Wednesday — For those tempted to suicide & assisted suicide
- Thursday — For expectant mothers considering adoption & adoptive families
- Friday — For those nearing death
Ideas for Spiritual & Corporal Works of Mercy for Life
- Mass — at the school Mass during Respect Life Week, include the provided intentions for life - choose from that day’s intention or another day’s as it fits best, write other intentions if desired, or pray all the intentions at the week’s school Mass (see below for intentions by grade level & day of the week)
- Prayer — say the provided prayer for each day’s intention as listed above as a class or as part of the school’s daily announcements…this daily prayer will unite all the schools on the given day for the given prayer.
- Bulletin Board or Poster — to educate & inform…choose one of the 5 topics given for the week & prepare a bulletin board or poster that raises awareness & teaches about the issue. This can be done as a class project or a larger school project. Submit your bulletin board or poster photos to the Respect Life Office to be featured on the Archdiocesan website.
- Door wreaths for Christopher Homes' residents -- As a class, grade, or school group, use an undecorated wreath, & have your class/group prepare it with whatever crafting you choose to give to an elderly resident who lives in one of the Christopher Homes facilities.
- Assistance for Angels' Place — As a class, a grade, or school group, gather & bag the items that will be given to the to terminally ill children & their families served by Angels' Place in the New Orleans area. For more information on Angels' Place, please visit their website. At the end of your school’s week, contact Debbie in the Respect Life Office (504-400-4824) to arrange pick up of your school’s gift bags.
- Louisiana Right to Life's New Orleans Poster & Video Contest -- for GRADES 5-12. Showcase the entries for these contests during Respect Life Week. The entries are due for submission by October 31
For detailed information, including the prayers/intentions for each day & the items needed for Angels' Place bags, please email the Respect Life Office
Additional Respect Life presentations/options for Respect Life Week or anytime during the school year...
- Speakers' Topics...
- Additional topics available via the Respect Life Office's Speakers' Bureau
- Footprints for Life, a Respect Life Club Program for elementary students is now available! Email Natasia for details.
- ACCESS Mobile Pregnancy Unit is available for a visit to your school
- Louisiana Right to Life's Speakers' Bureau