Public Policy Information
Current ACTION ALERTS:
- Urge Your Senators to Disapprove Planned Parenthood Title X Funding Rule
- Urge Congress to Enact the Conscience Protection Act of 2017
- Urge Congress to Protect Human Dignity and Combat Human Trafficking
What can I do?
- Register to vote
- Learn about the issues
- Follow the Louisiana Legislature & Congress (below)
- Write your Representatives & Senators to let them know your position on the issues (links below to help you!)
Scroll down to learn more...
Bills of interest for the life issues in the 115th Congress...
- HR 7 - No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion and Abortion Insurance Full Disclosure Act of 2017
- HR 644 - Conscience Protection Act of 2017
- S 301 - Conscience Protection Act of 2017
Navigating national Respect Life issues...
- Human Life Action Center general information
- Human Life Action Legislative Reports
- Human LIfe Action Issues topic-by-topic with action ideas
- National Right to Life Committee’s Legislative Action Center with information on national issues
- Search/find a bill in Congress
- Find my US Representative & US Senators
- Write to the President of the US
The Louisiana State Legislature is in session from now until June 8. Bills of interest...
- SB 111 - Relates to minors, Abortion, & Human Trafficking
- SB 42 - Establishes a state Human Trafficking commission (passed Senate)
- SB 54 - Human Trafficking of minors
- HB 172 - Human Trafficking and Child Exploitation Prevention Act
Navigating state Respect Life issues...
- Louisiana legislature news from the Louisiana Conference of Catholic Bishops
- Louisiana Conference of Catholic Bishops Take Action page with email updates sign-up
- Louisiana Right to Life's Active Issues in the Louisiana State Legislature
- Louisiana Right to Life Federation’s Pro-Life Body of Laws
- Search/find a bill in the Louisiana State Legislature
- Create my your personalized Legislation to Watch list for the Louisiana State Legislature
- Find my Louisiana State Representative & Louisiana State Senator
- Write to the Governor of the State of Louisiana
New Orleans City Planning Commission is studying adult live entertainment venues & their impact in New Orleans...UPDATES can be found here on their progress!
Church Teaching on Faithful Citizenship...
During this important presidential election year it is essential to remember that when any of us are acting on behalf of the Church that there are guidelines set forth by the Archdiocese (adapted from the USCCB’s guidelines) for what is acceptable in our work:
“Church organizations may not at anytime participate in, or intervene in (including the publishing or distributing of statements), any political campaign on behalf of, or in opposition to, any candidate for public office…
Parishes and Catholic institutions may not make statements (oral or written) supporting or opposing any candidate for public office in any manner, such as, sermons, parish bulletins, distribution of sample ballots, etc. Further, no statements may be made which label a certain candidate, such as referring to the candidate as pro-abortion or anti-peace, etc. Parish bulletins, parish publications, parish letterheads are never to be used to support or oppose a candidate for public office or to endorse or oppose a specific political party. The distribution of marked sample ballots or of posting of political signs or billboards must not be permitted on church property.
Parishes may sponsor voter registration drives and encourage citizens to exercise their right to vote, provided no bias for or against any candidate or political party is evidenced in any way. Such drives cannot distribute any partisan political literature, register only voters supporting a particular candidate or be in conjunction with any political campaign effort…”
For information about Church teaching & our call to participate in civic life, see the USCCB’s Faithful Citizenship document.